Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The Main Differences Between Mold and Mildew

People often confuse mold with mildew, and it’s easy to see why. Both are a type of fungus that gives off a foul, musty odor, and both are known to grow in warm, moist environments. However, if you are going to properly eliminate mold and mildew from your home, you have to know how to identify which is which so that you can use the correct solution to remove the growth.
Here are the main differences that distinguish mold from mildew.
Where Mildew Grows vs. Where Mold Grows
Mildew tends to grow on the surfaces of wet or damp objects, which makes it easier to see and remove. Mildew tends to accumulate on the walls, floors, and ceilings of rooms with high humidity as well as on leather, fabric, paper, and organic surfaces. Mildew can also be found on crops and plants, including grapes and potatoes.
Mold has more of a tendency to grow underneath surfaces that have gotten wet, but mold can grow on a variety of surfaces if the conditions are right (basically, enough darkness and moisture). Mold can grow in showers, under sinks and toilets, near windows, and on walls, insulation, floors, curtains, furniture, clothes, rugs, and mattresses.
How Mildew Looks vs. How Mold Looks
Mildew is not as diverse as mold in the “looks department.” Mildew tends to be pale yellow, gray, or white and looks downy, fluffy, or powdery in texture. It is also possible for mildew to turn brown or black over time. When mildew first starts to appear, it might look like a bunch of pale spots, but as it grows, it develops into a flat patch.
Mold can grow in a variety of colors, including gray, brown, black, green, yellow, blue, and white. Like mildew, mold can have a somewhat fluffy texture, but it can also have a slimy appearance. Mold begins to appear as a number of spots that can be mismatched in shape and size.
The Effects of Mildew vs. The Effects of Mold
While both mildew and mold have adverse effects on their surroundings, mold is considered the more hazardous of the two. If mildew starts to grow on your food, you’ll have to consider that food inedible, but unlike mold, mildew won’t cause serious damage to a building. Mold can cause the structures on which it grows to rot.
Mold can also cause more serious adverse health effects than mildew. Exposure to mildew spores can trigger symptoms such as a headache, sore throat, cough, or another respiratory issue. While mold can also trigger these symptoms, mold can contribute to other health issues such as joint pain and inflammation, chronic fatigue, depression, dizziness, migraines, and even hearth problems. Children, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems are particularly susceptible to the ill effects of mold spore exposure.
If you suspect that your home has water damage, it’s important to get your home inspected as soon as possible for areas that might allow mold to thrive. At GreenPro Cleaning & Restoration, we’re capable of providing you with a comprehensive water damage evaluation of your home.

1 comment:

  1. Wow thats extremely wonderful I actually have detected a brand new app green apple nutrition
    this app is nice and that i have started gazing it.Thanks for the assistance and suggesting the matter i'll travel with it.Keep publication and writing new article.